
Your neighbors called. They like your music.
Wow--that's a real rarity--and in great shape for it's age too! Worthy of a museum......
Being of "Sound" Mind
Altec Best the Iconic has a model 815 woofer, 15" cast frame, 2" voice coil and (usually) 1600 ohm field coil. The 815 was similar to the 415 theatre system horn woofer, though it had a slightly heavier cone for bass reflex loading. The 212 was not quite as deluxe a product, being 12" with a 1.25" voice coil and using a stamped frame. Many or most of the stamped components used during the mid to late 1930s were (I think) obtained from Magnavox. Lansing became the west coast distributor for Magnavox during this period when he had shifted his business to the production of theatre gear. Some of the speakers even have a foil label that says "Magnavox - Lansing."
For trivia buffs... the molded die cut phenolic spider used by Lansing in most all his 15", 2? voice coil cast frame speakers was obtained from Magnavox, who used them in their fancy 12" models. The later 3? phenolic spider used in the 515 and 803A was a modification of this design. The U.S. Patent for this invention (#2,112,473) was granted to Magnavox engineer R.E. Tolerton, one of several patents he received on the subject. Ain?t Google Patent Search grand?
Patent US2112473 - SOUND REPRODUCING APPARATUS - Google Patents
Old Guy, that is a nice example of a 212. If I was still adding to the collection I?d be all over that. The only one I have came to me as a wreck, never painted, rusty, with cone assembly and field coil missing. Still, the guy managed to shake me down for $25 since I didn't have one.

Yup ! So was Google Code Search !
As Usual Thanks for the Knowledge. It must have been nice to live so close to All things Altec,Lansing,etc.. I would have been all over them factories.
Yes Steve... I know, only meant looks similar (Label) on the woofer.There is a big difference in size 12" to the 15" Iconic .From the same era that's all.My post says it looks like...![]()
Another Oldie. I found it here, lots of cool stuff but it's in Thai.
http://www.thaidiyaudio.net/index.php?topic=5695.0
I bid $500 and didn't make the reserve if that helps anyone out.
You can use Google Transalte - the post with this picture reads: "The history of the early born. Across the start dabbled with loudspeaker ). era of Jim Lansing. James B. Lansing (who is: Jim or James the same) to try to apply the newly founded Nathaniel Baldwin Company in positions in the factory radio, ears. listener and speaker in Salt Lake City by Mr.Baldwin an interview. I was not hired to work at the plant. He has worked at local radio stations. Naga and later went to work at the Felt Auto Parts Company, which serves the route with his fine motor skills as well. During that time he began to experiment with the speakers. Try creating a new paper by cone and the frame of Nathaniel Baldwin speaker driver cone, at that time had just been newly developed. The speakers tend to sound better than speakers, horn and sewer in the fall of 1925 he met Glenna Peterson and Boston for the first time. Where he was introduced to his brother Fred ties with his family Peterson was taken to James as Kenneth Decker and family, his business on a gem James and Kenneth joined as a partner in the establishment of manufacturing speakers for. Radio later Jim was out of Felt Auto Parts and rent in the Downtown in Salt Lake City by hiring Fred Peterson was employed by Fred serves clients, Decker transaction and, James speaker design, and work. In the same building. Over a period of time, it was successful - which is enough to attract attention to Nathaniel Baldwin was Mr. Baldwin willing to pay for our manufacturing base. And an offer to buy his company. James said this is a reject."
This has been relisted @ $500 buy-it-now, but I'm not interested anymore.
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
Bookmarks